Bangalore, Feb 11: It is Players' Auction time again in the Indian Premier League. As many as 513 will go under the hammer here on Wednesday.
The IPL 7 Players' Auction is scheduled for two days at the ITC Gardenia Hotel. For the first time, uncapped Indian players will also be a part of the auction.
Here are 10 facts about IPL 7 Players' Auction, which starts at 9.30 AM on February 12
1. 513 players (218 capped players - 169 Indians and 49 overseas. 292 uncapped players (255 Indians and 37 overseas) will go under the hammer
2. For the first time, franchises will bid in Indian Rupees
3. The highest base price for a player is Rs 2 crores
4. It is for the first time that uncapped Indian players will be part of auction
5. There are 255 uncapped Indians and 169 capped Indians
6. There are 16 marquee players in the auction. Mahela Jayawardene, Mitchell Johnson, Jacques Kallis, Kevin Pietersen, Virender Sehwag, Yuvraj Singh, Murali Vijay, David Warner, George Bailey, Faf du Plessis, Michael Hussey, Dinesh Karthik, Zaheer Khan, Brendon Mccullum, Amit Mishra and Darren Sammy are the marquee players
7. A new feature 'right to match' is included this time. The "right to match" is to be exercised when - once the bidding for any player who was in a franchise's 2013 squad is complete and the auctioneer is satisfied that no more bids will be forthcoming, the auctioneer will bring down the hammer, declare the player "sold" and then ask the relevant franchise if it wishes to exercise one of its remaining "rights to match"
If the franchise chooses to exercise the "right to match", the franchise will take the player for the amount of the final bid that had been made in the Player Auction
No further bidding by any other franchises is possible
Franchises may take no more than 4 capped Indian players via a combination of retention prior to the auction and the "right to match".
8. Salary Cap for the IPL league fees of the entire squad is Rs. 60 crore for 2014
9. Each squad must include no less than 16 and no more than 27 players, of which up to 9 may be overseas players
10. Players can have one year term with a franchise having the option to extend for either one or two additional years. The option must be exercised on or before 15 December in each year