Mirpur, Mar 3: India and Pakistan fans will never forget Javed Miandad's famous last-ball six off Chetan Sharma in Sharjah. Now, Shahid Afridi too has joined the former great with similar effort on Sunday (March 2). Believe it or not, both matches have several similarities!
Miandad smashed Chetan for a six to seal the final of Austral-Asia Cup in Sharjah on April 18, 1986. 27 years later, Afridi did a similar act against offspinner R Ashwin at the Sher-e-Bangla Stadium in Asia Cup.
In a thrilling last-over finish, Afridi hit two successive sixes to seal the match for Pakistan by 1 wicket.
The 1986 Sharjah humdinger and the edge-of-the-seat thriller in Mirpur have several things in common.
Here are the 10 similarities between the two famous India-Pakistan encounters (Sharjah in 1986 and Mirpur in 2014)
1. Pakistan won the toss and opted to field in both contests
2. India scored 245 in both matches
3. Openers Kris Srikkanth and Rohit Sharma both hit two sixes each
4. Both Javed Miandad and Shahid Afridi hit three sixes apiece
5. Both games ended with a six
6. In both matches, Pakistan won by 1 wicket
7. Both Indian bowlers - Chetan and Ashwin who bowled last overs took three wickets apiece
8. Number 10 batsmen Zulqarnain and Saeed Ajmal bowled in final overs
9. Three Indian batsmen hit half centuries in both matches (Srikkanth, Sunil Gavaskar and Dilip Vengsarkar in 1986. Rohit Sharma, Ambati Rayudu and Ravindra Jadeja yesterday)
10. Two run outs in Pakistan innings in both matches (Saleem Malik and Wasim Akram in Sharjah. Misbah-ul-Haq and Sohaib Maqsood)