Dubai, Apr 28: Kings XI Punjab set a new IPL record when they defeated Royal Challengers Bangalore by five wickets here tonight.
Today's win at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium was KXIP's eighth success in a row. This season, it was their fifth victory while they had three on the trot towards the end of IPL 6. The previous best was 7 wins in a row by RCB (2011) and Chennai Super Kings (2013).
With tonight's triumph, KXIP ended the UAE leg of IPL 7 with an unbeaten record. KXIP's next match is on May 3 against Mumbai Indians in Mumbai.
KXIP, led by Australian right-hander George Bailey, have been in superb form this year. Glenn Maxwell and David Miller have been their batting stars while paceman Sandeep Sharma has delievered with the ball.
The sequence of 8 victories for Punjab started last year on May 14. They had then beaten RCB by seven wickets in Bangalore.
From then, on they have got the better of Delhi Daredevils (May 16, 2013) and Mumbai Indians (May 18, 2013) last season.
This year, KXIP began with win over Chennai Super Kings on April 18. After that, they conquered Rajasthan Royals (April 20), Sunrisers Hyderabad (April 22), Kolkata Knight Riders (April 26) and today RCB.
KXIP's record run of 8 IPL wins
1. May 14, 2013 - Vs RCB - Won by 7 wickets
2. May 16, 2013 - Vs DD - Won by 7 runs
3. May 18, 2013 - Vs MI - Won by 50 runs
4. April 18, 2014 - Vs CSK - Won by 6 wickets
5. April 20, 2014 - Vs RR - Won by 7 wickets
6. April 22, 2014 - Vs SRH - Won by 72 runs
7. April 26, 2014 - Vs KKR - Won by 23 runs
8. April 28, 2014 - Vs RCB - Won by 5 wickets