Dhoni, currently with 13 Test losses abroad as India skipper, is only 3 defeats away from equalling the worst record of 16. This dubious distinction is held jointly by Stephen Fleming and Brian Lara. Dhoni will want to stay on 13 (away losses) as long as he remains Test captain.
India's innings and 54-run defeat in Manchester against England last week was Dhoni's 13th away defeat from home as the leader of the side.
So far, Dhoni has captained India in 57 Tests, winning 27 and losing 16. 14 of them ended in draws.
The fifth and final Test of the ongoing series against England starts at The Oval on August 15.
Dhoni and his side will be hoping not to complete a hat-trick of losses having lost the third and fourth Tests to Alastair Cook-led team.
Will 13 prove lucky for Dhoni?
MS Dhoni's Test losses abroad as India captain (13) - updated till August 13, 2014
Overall record as Test captain - Played 57, Won 27, Lost 16, Draw 14
- Vs Sri Lanka, Galle (July 2010)
- Vs South Africa, Centurion (December 2010)
- Vs England, Lord's (July 2011)
- Vs England, Nottingham (July 2011)
- Vs England, Birmingham (August 2011)
- Vs England, The Oval (August 2011)
- Vs Australia, Melbourne (December 2011)
- Vs Australia, Sydney (January 2012)
- Vs Australia, Perth (January 2012)
- Vs South Africa, Durban (December 2013)
- Vs New Zealand, Auckland (February 2014)
- Vs England, Southampton (July 2014)
- Vs England, Manchester (August 2014)